Top 7 Boys Returnees: (Full Team Score Rankings)
|10||Spanish Fork (UT)||476|
|1) Wyatt Evans||15:33.80||18|
|2) Garrett Dedrickson||16:16.60||80|
|3) Spencer Bailey||16:22.50||98|
|4) Ammon Beck||16:36.10||131|
|5) Jordon Scott||16:41.70||149|
|Average Time: 16:18.14 Total Time: 1:21:30.70 1-5 Split: 1:07.90|
|6) Matthew Cable||16:45.00||159|
|7) Tyler Reese||17:24.30||287|
Q&A With Coach Cable (Spanish Fork)
1. How many years have you been coaching high school cross country (and at your current school)?
Coach Cable 5 years total all at Spanish Fork HS
Coach Cary Over 20 years Past 4 years at Spanish Fork HS
2. What do you attribute as the main reasons for the success of your program?
This is still a work in progress for us. We feel future success will come as we build a culture of winning through team unity and dedication. The returning kids are buying in and taking a leadership role in driving this culture with new kids who join the team.
3. What would be the best way to describe your style and philosophy of coaching and working with high school runners?
Passion, integrity and accountability. Oh and fun team traditions that we keep going from year to year.
4. What are your core beliefs in your training plan and workouts for your cross country squads?
Summer mileage to build core aerobic capacity is key. Region and state titles are won during the summer.
5. How many runners do you return from your top 7 from a year ago?
Our top seven finishers from region all return. And then 3 of the next 5 after that.
6. Who is your projected top 7 heading into the cross country season?
Top seven isn't set as we are deep enough that the kids will determine top 7 as they compete early in the season.
Top 7 from our region meet last year and the grade they will be in this year: Wyatt Evans Sr, Garret Dedrickson Jr, Spencer Bailey Jr, Ammon Beck So, Jordon Scott Sr, Matt Cable Jr, Tyler Reese So
7. Who are your team captains or leaders and what stands out about them as examples for the rest of their teammates?
Jordon Scott - he is a student of running and leads by example He will have a breakout year and is the key to us performing well at the state level.
Zack Prior - family owns a dairy farm and it translates into our team with his work ethic
8. Who have you been most impressed or surprised with their improvement and/or fitness from their summer training?
Too early to call this out
9. Any impactful freshmen or transfers to join the team this season?
10. What are the top invitational meets that your team will be attending this season?
11. What will be the biggest obstacle or challenge facing your team this season?
12. What will be the biggest reason why your team is successful this season?
Having our 2nd -7th runners close the gap on Wyatt
13. What is a favorite annual or common pre-season workout or run for your team?
Running at 10,000 feet on Skyline drive about Fairfield is our favorite summer team run. We do this as part of a three day mountain camp in Mount Pleasant.
14. What is a favorite annual or common mid-season workout for your team?
15. What is a favorite annual or common championship season or end-of-season workout for your team?
16. What are your top 3 goals for this year's squad?
Build the program: Increase in number of participants
Team Unity: We are in this together
Performance: Perform well in big meets (region, state and Nike regionals)