Scouting Report Interview with Bruno Hunziker, Head Girls coach of American Fork High School. Last season the American Fork Girls had the most competition at the State Level then they have been used to in years past. It used to be the Davis and AF show but then Pleasant Grove and Lone Peak came in and made these girls work for there podium spot. They return 6 of their top 7 and are poised to take back the state title and make a push for NXN.
Q&A With Coach Hunziker (American Fork)
1. How many years have you been coaching high school cross country (and at your current school)?
I have been coaching at American Fork High School for 30 years.
2. What do you attribute as the main reasons for the success of your program?
Consistency, having good leaders and being unified as a team with hard work and goals.
3. What would be the best way to describe your style and philosophy of coaching and working with high school runners?
First make it fun for the kids and help them believe in themselves and help to reach their goals
4. What are your core beliefs in your training plan and workouts for your cross country squads?
Being consistent, making sure the kids are not over run, and remembering they are High School and not College age.
5. How many runners do you return from your top 7 from a year ago?
I returned 6 students from last year
6. Who is your projected top 7 heading into the cross country season?
Our top 7 are Mattie Hess, Kinsey Hess, Hailey Hess, Lilly Neidersheim, Sam Stokes, Brooklyn Hopkins, Hazel Baird, possibly Sadie Hess.
7. Who are your team captains or leaders and what stands out about them as examples for the rest of their teammates?
Lilly- Hailey- Kinsey- Mattie- BrookeThese girls show leadership and friendship to all the girls and the girls look up to them. They are dedicated to the sport and show up at all workouts.
8. Who have you been most impressed or surprised with their improvement and/or fitness from their summer training?
Hailey Hess is really looking strong going into the summer. Mattie Hess has also looked very strong. We have a freshman Hazel Baird who has been very impressive and running with the lead runners all summer.
9. Any impactful freshmen or transfers to join the team this season?
Hazel Baird as a freshman. Danielle Shock a Junior transfer from West Lake.
10. What are the top invitational meets that your team will be attending this season?
Highland Classic, Bob Firman, BYU invitational.
11. What will be the biggest obstacle or challenge facing your team this season?
We want to stay healthy and be able to compete against Lone Peak, Desert Hill, West Lake.
12. What will be the biggest reason why your team is successful this season?
For the work they are doing this summer.
13. What is a favorite annual or common pre-season workout or run for your team?
The Grinder, and doing power runs.
14. What is a favorite annual or common mid-season workout for your team?
15. What is a favorite annual or common championship season or end-of-season workout for your team?
16. What are your top 3 goals for this year's squad?
To challenge for the state title, Be in the top 3 at southwest regionalls, have a good showing at Bob Firman