Article Comment: Boys State Meet Forecast-5A
11/08/2010 9:24:47 AM
User
Saturday through Sunday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. Lows in the lower 40s.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Round_Rock.html
Saturday through Sunday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. Lows in the lower 40s.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Round_Rock.html
11/08/2010 11:19:30 AM
User
Travis Barclay will set a new state record
11/08/2010 11:29:57 AM
User
[quote=Cohen]Travis Barclay will set a new state record[/quote] @Cohen Travis Barclay's Region 4 win was amazing. I was honestly expecting Angel Banda to be the top runner in region 4, but Barclay seems to have turned it up a notch. Still, I would think Lutz is still an untouchable this year, and would be the most likely to break any record.
Cohen wrote:

@Cohen

Travis Barclay's Region 4 win was amazing. I was honestly expecting Angel Banda to be the top runner in region 4, but Barclay seems to have turned it up a notch.

Still, I would think Lutz is still an untouchable this year, and would be the most likely to break any record.
11/08/2010 12:57:31 PM
User
How about we all just wait and see them battle it out. It should be a good race.
How about we all just wait and see them battle it out. It should be a good race.
11/08/2010 2:25:32 PM
User
Barclay is 4A
Lutz is 5A
Won't go head to head until the 20th at Nike South Regional.
Barclay is 4A
Lutz is 5A
Won't go head to head until the 20th at Nike South Regional.
11/08/2010 2:32:40 PM
User
I'll just go ahead and state the obvious...Region 4 was NOT a 5k. Barclay is not in the same league as Lutz and Region 4 does not have 10 guys within 5 seconds of the 4A State Meet Record for 5000 meters.
I'll just go ahead and state the obvious...Region 4 was NOT a 5k. Barclay is not in the same league as Lutz and Region 4 does not have 10 guys within 5 seconds of the 4A State Meet Record for 5000 meters.
11/08/2010 2:44:17 PM
User

With the above said, Region 4 has Angel Banda which was ranked 2nd right behind Lutz.

With the above said, Region 4 has Angel Banda which was ranked 2nd right behind Lutz.
11/08/2010 2:51:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Region IV Course is a FAST 5K Course with some hills and long down hill straight aways and very little curves that slow you down. We have measured it numerous of times.
Region IV Course is a FAST 5K Course with some hills and long down hill straight aways and very little curves that slow you down. We have measured it numerous of times.
11/09/2010 9:30:47 AM
User
If you believe that Region 4 is a 5000 meter course then you think that Region 4 4A runs faster for 5k than Region 2 5A runs for 3 miles. Region 4 4A was faster, from top to bottom, than the 5A Region 2 race. Region 2 5A had 23 boys under 16 minutes. Region 4 4A had 24. Region 2 5A's 100th finisher was at 17:36 and Region 4 4A was 17:22. A 5k is typically around 40 seconds slower than a 3 mile. Do you really think Region 4 4A is that much superior to Region 2 5A? Of course the meet directors and anyone who ran a PR on the course will defend it's accuracy because they have too much at stake but if the UIL can mark Old Settler's Park more accurately than McNeil did, then we will find out the truth on Saturday.
If you believe that Region 4 is a 5000 meter course then you think that Region 4 4A runs faster for 5k than Region 2 5A runs for 3 miles.

Region 4 4A was faster, from top to bottom, than the 5A Region 2 race. Region 2 5A had 23 boys under 16 minutes. Region 4 4A had 24. Region 2 5A's 100th finisher was at 17:36 and Region 4 4A was 17:22.

A 5k is typically around 40 seconds slower than a 3 mile. Do you really think Region 4 4A is that much superior to Region 2 5A?

Of course the meet directors and anyone who ran a PR on the course will defend it's accuracy because they have too much at stake but if the UIL can mark Old Settler's Park more accurately than McNeil did, then we will find out the truth on Saturday.
11/09/2010 11:00:20 AM
Coach
Too much speculation about the quality of the runners from Region IV-4A. If I may put my two cents worth of input for free...I saw that meet and it was the fastest 4A meet for Region IV that I have ever seen. Mile 1 and the last mile are swift, more straights and fairly flat. Mile 2 is the hardest despite some nice downhill parts, it has several curves with the main hill that is on a curve. Mile 2 is the dream breaker (many runners fade on this part of the course). Back to the music...The top 25 from Region IV-4A may have ran better than the Region II-5A runners, you have to factor in that out the 25 runners from Region IV 10 runners came from former 5A classes (Smithson Valley, Cedar Park, CP Vista Ridge, and Austin Vandegrift [I think Vandegrift use to be 5A]), 2 from Boerne Champion - last year's National Champions, 1 Angel Banda who is national class runner, and 12 other state/region quality guys who ran the race of their of life on the day that counted...Region IV-4A runners deserve their just praise. We'll see on Saturday at Old Settler's Park (the equalizer to all the debate) who is the best, in any class. Travis will be probably be second to Craig at the Nike South Regional Meet. We won't know till November 20th. I will be there for the first time in Round Rock, with our lone runner representing our school at the State level since 1983. Go South San Bobcats!
Too much speculation about the quality of the runners from Region IV-4A. If I may put my two cents worth of input for free...I saw that meet and it was the fastest 4A meet for Region IV that I have ever seen. Mile 1 and the last mile are swift, more straights and fairly flat. Mile 2 is the hardest despite some nice downhill parts, it has several curves with the main hill that is on a curve. Mile 2 is the dream breaker (many runners fade on this part of the course).

Back to the music...The top 25 from Region IV-4A may have ran better than the Region II-5A runners, you have to factor in that out the 25 runners from Region IV 10 runners came from former 5A classes (Smithson Valley, Cedar Park, CP Vista Ridge, and Austin Vandegrift ), 2 from Boerne Champion - last year's National Champions, 1 Angel Banda who is national class runner, and 12 other state/region quality guys who ran the race of their of life on the day that counted...Region IV-4A runners deserve their just praise.

We'll see on Saturday at Old Settler's Park (the equalizer to all the debate) who is the best, in any class.

Travis will be probably be second to Craig at the Nike South Regional Meet. We won't know till November 20th.

I will be there for the first time in Round Rock, with our lone runner representing our school at the State level since 1983. Go South San Bobcats!
11/09/2010 11:55:44 AM
User
Kingwood boys are on FIRE. They definitely have a chance to win the Title this year. Good luck!!
Kingwood boys are on FIRE. They definitely have a chance to win the Title this year. Good luck!!
11/09/2010 4:13:07 PM
User
Just cause region II was a 3mile doesn't mean region IV was a 3mile. Region IV was indeed a 5K why would you think region IV would be slower there is ALOT of talent from region IV
Just cause region II was a 3mile doesn't mean region IV was a 3mile. Region IV was indeed a 5K why would you think region IV would be slower there is ALOT of talent from region IV
11/09/2010 6:58:27 PM
User
[quote=CaptainObvious]If you believe that Region 4 is a 5000 meter course then you think that Region 4 4A runs faster for 5k than Region 2 5A runs for 3 miles. Region 4 4A was faster, from top to bottom, than the 5A Region 2 race. Region 2 5A had 23 boys under 16 minutes. Region 4 4A had 24. Region 2 5A's 100th finisher was at 17:36 and Region 4 4A was 17:22. A 5k is typically around 40 seconds slower than a 3 mile. Do you really think Region 4 4A is that much superior to Region 2 5A? Of course the meet directors and anyone who ran a PR on the course will defend it's accuracy because they have too much at stake but if the UIL can mark Old Settler's Park more accurately than McNeil did, then we will find out the truth on Saturday.[/quote] @CaptainObvious From what I have seen, if you add 20 seconds to your Region II time you normally come close to what you run at state, a 5K race... With that said, I have never seen the Region 4A course, nor do I know what the conditions were at Region II... But even I am skeptical of a 14:44 / 14:58 5k. Will Antkowiak ran a 15:09 at Region III (don't know anything about the weather), and Region III has always best 5K course to set a PR on. Completely flat and comfortable surface the entire race. But I heard the course has changed a bit? Or they moved it? Someone can clarify. If it's pretty much the same, this certainly races questions, as I'm pretty certain Will would not be running 25 seconds slower than either individual listed in a 5k race.
CaptainObvious wrote:
If you believe that Region 4 is a 5000 meter course then you think that Region 4 4A runs faster for 5k than Region 2 5A runs for 3 miles.

Region 4 4A was faster, from top to bottom, than the 5A Region 2 race. Region 2 5A had 23 boys under 16 minutes. Region 4 4A had 24. Region 2 5A's 100th finisher was at 17:36 and Region 4 4A was 17:22.

A 5k is typically around 40 seconds slower than a 3 mile. Do you really think Region 4 4A is that much superior to Region 2 5A?

Of course the meet directors and anyone who ran a PR on the course will defend it's accuracy because they have too much at stake but if the UIL can mark Old Settler's Park more accurately than McNeil did, then we will find out the truth on Saturday.

@CaptainObvious

From what I have seen, if you add 20 seconds to your Region II time you normally come close to what you run at state, a 5K race...

With that said, I have never seen the Region 4A course, nor do I know what the conditions were at Region II... But even I am skeptical of a 14:44 / 14:58 5k.

Will Antkowiak ran a 15:09 at Region III (don't know anything about the weather), and Region III has always best 5K course to set a PR on. Completely flat and comfortable surface the entire race.

But I heard the course has changed a bit? Or they moved it? Someone can clarify. If it's pretty much the same, this certainly races questions, as I'm pretty certain Will would not be running 25 seconds slower than either individual listed in a 5k race.
11/09/2010 9:29:07 PM
User
@Heracles
I ran the region III meet and we ran at Atascosita High School instead of North Harris... The weather was fairly cool for most of the races, there were also a lot of turns in this course. It was a slow course no matter how many people you see from region III that ran a PR there.
@Heracles
I ran the region III meet and we ran at Atascosita High School instead of North Harris... The weather was fairly cool for most of the races, there were also a lot of turns in this course. It was a slow course no matter how many people you see from region III that ran a PR there.
11/09/2010 10:44:03 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Well if you compare the UTSA Meet to the McNiel Meet...The UTSA Course is 10-12 seconds faster than McNiel Course on Average. Its just a FAST 5K COURSE.
Well if you compare the UTSA Meet to the McNiel Meet...The UTSA Course is 10-12 seconds faster than McNiel Course on Average. Its just a FAST 5K COURSE.
11/09/2010 11:30:32 PM
User
So you want to compare one short course to another short course? Compare it to Nike South or College Park or something more accurate. McNeil was short this year, just like Region 4.
So you want to compare one short course to another short course? Compare it to Nike South or College Park or something more accurate. McNeil was short this year, just like Region 4.
11/10/2010 12:08:55 PM
User
Wow so mcneil and region IV were both short, I find that very unlikely.
Wow so mcneil and region IV were both short, I find that very unlikely.
11/10/2010 1:33:41 PM
User
But you find it more likely that Region 4 4A has 10 guys within 5 seconds of the 4A State Meet Record? Do you find it more likely that Region 4 4A runners are 50 seconds to a minute faster than Region 2 5A runners after doing the 3 mile to 5k conversion? Use a little common sense here!
But you find it more likely that Region 4 4A has 10 guys within 5 seconds of the 4A State Meet Record?

Do you find it more likely that Region 4 4A runners are 50 seconds to a minute faster than Region 2 5A runners after doing the 3 mile to 5k conversion?

Use a little common sense here!
11/10/2010 3:45:14 PM
User
@CaptainObvious Are you saying region IV has slow runners come on who says region 2 is faster then region IV
@CaptainObvious
Are you saying region IV has slow runners come on who says region 2 is faster then region IV
11/10/2010 5:42:19 PM
User
I'm saying that it's unlikely that all of Region 4 4a is 50 seconds to a minute faster than the strongest 5A region in the state. Do you really believe Region 4 has 10 guys within 5 seconds of the 4a state meet record?
I'm saying that it's unlikely that all of Region 4 4a is 50 seconds to a minute faster than the strongest 5A region in the state.

Do you really believe Region 4 has 10 guys within 5 seconds of the 4a state meet record?

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.