The 2013 Girls Track MVP’s and Performance of the year awards as voted on by the coaches.
The 2013 Boys Track MVP’s and Performance of the year awards as voted on by the coaches.
University of Oregon hosted the NCAA Track and Field Championships this weekend. It was a great meet for athletes native of Utah, as well as for athletes currently representing Universities from around the state. Here are the marks from all the competitors from around the state.
Boys from all around the state made the trek to New Mexico to represent Utah at the Great Southwest Classic. The athletes had the chance to compete against athletes from all around the country, all the way from Florida to Nevada.
The Team Utah Girls represented well at the Great Southwest Classic this weekend. With stiff competition coming in from all over the southwest, the Utah Girls picked up wins in 6 events. Kaysha Love won the 200m Dash, Sierra Malm won the 2k Steeple, Summer Harper won the 3200m, Lucy Biles won the 1 mile run, Megan Glassman won the Javelin, and the Utah Girls also picked up the win in the 4x800m Relay.
Jake Heslington won the 2000 Steeple at Great Southwest in record time. Photo by Alan Versaw.
Utah Alumni Report May 16-26, 2013
2013 has been one of the greatest years for distance running in the state of Utah. Not only at the front of the pack, with 10 new state records in the distance events alone, but the depth of the talent is the most impressive. Times that would win state most years had trouble even earning a medal this year. The depth of the Utah talent will be shown this upcoming weekend at the Great Southwest Classic in Albuquerque, NM.
Ben Saarel of Park City has a ferocious kick, and used it to destroy the field in a come from behind win Saturday at the Adidas Dream Mile. It truly was an all-star pack, with 9 athletes in the field breaking 4:10. Ben had to go toe to toe with the likes of Foot Locker Champ Edward Cheserek, Arizona’s Bernie Montoya, Henry Wynne and more. Saarel’s winning time of 4:02.72 is the fastest ever run by a Utah athlete in High School, beating out Brad Nye's 4:03.04 from last year. The win caps off a fantastic season for Ben, in which he set the all classification state record in the 800, 1600, and 3200m, as well as winning every race he entered except for his 3rd place finish at Mt. Sac. He will take his talents to University of Colorado this fall where he will be a contender for an NCAA title for years to come.
Finals results from the 2013 State Championships have now been added to athlete pages. After adding the results to each athletes page, I have added the list of every athlete per classification that reached the Milesplit National Silver Standard. Here are the elite performances from last weeks state meet.
- Article Comment: 2013 MVP and Performance of the Year awards
- Article Comment: Utah Cross Country 2013: One for the Annals
- Article Comment: 2013 Utah State Championship: 4a Boys Preview
- Article Comment: Milesplit Allstars Feature Athlete of the Week: Austin Brower
- Updates and maybe more coverage of meets?
- 2013 SUU High School Coliseum Champioships 2013
- Taylorsville Invitational 2013
- Article Comment: Pro-Tips - Emma Coburn - From a Small School to the Big Stage
- A Major Tweak to How the Site Works
- Article Comment: Utah Boys show very well at Arcadia Invite
- USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships
- USATF World Youth Track and Field Trials
- USATF Youth Outdoor Track and Field Championship
- ESPN AAU Primary Nationals
- 8th IAAF World Youth Championship
- USATF National JO Outdoor Track and Field Championship
- AAU Junior Olympic Games
- Hershey National Championship
- Shiprock Cross Country Invitational
- Chicken Creek Challenge
- Ali Walker to University of Wyoming
- Jerrell Mock to Colorado State University
- Melissa Garrett to Weber State
- Michael Finch to Southern Utah University
- Jackson Sagers to Utah State University
- Jordan Cross to Shorter University
- Emily Rich to Brigham Young University
- Jake Heslington to Brigham Young University
- Alex Hedquist to Brigham Young University
- Preston Johnson to Weber State